So I thought that I was done with all the New Year / Christmas stuff, then I read Back to Me’s post and decided to do it too, mostly ‘cause I think it will be really awesome to look back in a year’s time and reflect on 2010! If you do it too please leave a comment with a link to your blog so I can see what you had to say.
1. What did you do this year that you’d never done before?
Started blogging, went to see a fertility specialist.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really go in for New Year’s resolutions, but you can read here for details on what I did achieve in 2009. No resolutions for 2010, the only thing I want to do (get pregnant and become a mother) I don’t have control over making happen so no point stressing myself with it.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My BFF in August and my SIL in September! Then family friends x2 in September & October.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Closest was by BFF hubbies Dad, just wished I could have been there for them through the tough times as my BFF was in the last weeks of her pregnancy!
5. What countries did you visit?
None! Absolutely appalling – not on and we won’t be saying this next year (I hope).
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?Peace of Mind. I just don’t want to be that miserable, impatient and stressed.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?26th Jan – my darling Hopelessly went to the doctor to look into fertility treatment as a birthday present for me!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not making the time or finding the money to have more special moments with my man. We are firm believers in the saying that “Life is not counted by the number of breathes you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!” and there weren’t nearly enough of these!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No – not unless you count becoming severely emotionally unstable!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bar stools for our kitchen counter, so Hopelessly can sit and keep me company and help out when I’m in the kitchen and I can do the same when he is in there! Such great social time together.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Some of the awesome women out there who endure the most terrible heartache and hard times and just keep going with love and strength. Personally I think it is all summed up in Sharon’s story.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?My mother, as always, but which moment to choose?!? I know when she wanted to know why I was making her feel bad about us supporting her when I wouldn’t tell my Dad that the financial burden was too much. She didn’t seem to get that my Dad was borrowing money from us, whereas she has lived off us (almost completely) for over five years now!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mother (resent) and Father (gladly given)!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being given hope that Hopelessly’s treatments will work!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Just about any song form Pinks ‘Funhouse’ Album, but if I had to pick just one song, it would probably have to be Sober
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?a) Sadder b) Thinner c) Poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?Making those moments that take your breath away! No not those moments you dirty buggers!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Crying, wishing the time away as we waited for the treatment to start working.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With both our families together for the first time ever! Absolutely priceless.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yes, with my god-daughters (SIL’s baby and BFF’s baby), not sure how I can feel so protective over my BFF’s little one when I haven’t even met her?
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Greys Anatomy – could there be any other??? Oh okay, maybe Private Practice too!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, no energy for hating.
24. What was the best book you read?
Now should I sound really sad and pathetic or really cool??? The truth is probably ‘Twilight’ – how sad is that. But also recently finished Marian Keyes, ‘Rachels Holiday’, which really spoke to me.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmmm, probably Pink.
26. What did you want and get?
To make some new friends who really ‘get’ me.
27. What did you want and not get?
Duh! Baby of course!
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
I really struggled with this one, I thought ‘Angels and Demons’ was a great portrayal of the book, got some good laughs from ‘Proposal’ and ‘The Ugly Truth’ and 2012 was definitely a BIG movie! So yes, I’ve completely wimped out of choosing a favourite, none were THAT good.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34 and was thoroughly miserable. I realised a couple of weeks before that I did want to be a mother after all and couldn’t see how we could make it happen! We went out to dinner to a restaurant I probably won’t go back to. Not my best birthday even though I got some pretty cool stuff, gardening books, seeds to plant herbs and Hopelessly’s visit to the doc.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If the damn treatment had actually worked in the first month!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Hey, fashion, what’s that? I finally started buying myself some of those long skirts I love and girly flowing tops.
32. What kept you sane?
The awesome women I have met on the internet and then made IRL friends with via our book club! These women helped me to see that there were people who could relate to what we are going through, have been through their own personal hell and despite it are warm, supportive and amazing!
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Really took a fancy to Gerard Butler, yummy!
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
That would suggest that something other than IF could stir me! I’ve had a pretty one track mind the last year.
35. Who did you miss?
My BFF, I hate that we don’t live in the same country anymore! She would have been my rock during the last year, as it was she managed to send me herbs to see me through the darkest hours!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm, not fair to make me pick, I won’t – my book club ladies!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
These times are sent to try us, and patience is a virtue, but what doesn’t kill strengthens! – How cheesy is that – LOL
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.“Times may not always be good
But whoever said that they would
But girl, when life’s not fair
Just know that I’ll be there.
With a shoulder to always lean on
And a heart that will always be strong
Through valleys and hills, gray skies or blue
Girl, through it all, I’ll be lovin’ you”
“Always Have, Always Will” by Shanandoah