So Dr S rang Hopelessly yesterday and we have a Plan of Action (POA). He told us what we already knew thanks to the communications on Friday from Greg the Hero Lab Technician, that we can go ahead with ICSI. Hopelessly asked him if it would be worth while waiting a few more weeks to see if we get a further improvement to see if we may be able to avoid IVF. Dr S said it is worth giving it another six to eight week to retest and we can judge based on whether there is an improvement and how much of an improvement we see.
So we are into a six week wait. I cannot express enough how much better that is than the 12 -24 month wait we were initially told we were embarking on. I mean we were told that this treatment if it worked could take up to two years before it worked. Although Dr S seemed so sure it would work sooner and in fact it worked in exactly the timeframe he suggested. Here we are just nine months into the treatment and we have something to work with! So our plan is to test in six (or seven weeks – Hopelessly is giving me a hard time saying something about that being half way between the six to eight weeks that Dr S suggested!).
We had a long chat about it last night as so many of you have suggested we simply get on with the ICSI. I know that IVF has MUCH better success rates. Somewhere between the elation at the news on Friday and last night it dawned on me that while this is the very best possible news, we still have a VERY long way to go before we have good enough sperm for successful IUI and that with IUI having such a low success rate to start with. And so for a little while there I was all set to convince Hopelessly that we should stop messing around and get on with the ICSI – I am on day 3 today and could just get on with the cycle right now.
BUT… and it is a big BUT, IUI is so much less invasive and so much more natural and I really would like to avoid the toll on my body and emotions of IVF. Also I figure our success rate with ICSI will be even better if we give the little swimmers a chance to get even better before we go ahead.
So we are in a six week wait. But I’m hoping that because we have a plan if there isn’t a significant improvement the six weeks won’t drag too much. Also I have some distractions still lined up, we are off to Jo’burg to visit my family – my sister has her very first photography exhibition which we are going to see (very excited about that) and I’m (hopefully) getting a new car and we need to finish painting the house before we do any ‘real’ cycles and I need to loose some weight again and get my body in better condition ready to host a sprog.
Wow this is all getting real folks!