Thank you to all who left such warm encouraging messages on yesterday’s sad cry for help blog post. You cannot begint o know how much it does actually help to hear those kinds words.
Yesterday was a bit of a better day, it’s all relative and I decided I would see how the night went before deciding whether to speak to the OB about an earlier date. So last night a bath and another amazing foot massage from Chris and we turned out the lights. At exactly midnight I woke up with contractions! YES Time at last, the babies were takign the decision away from me. I dozed off waiting for the second contraction, but was woken up 17 minutes later with another one. I thought great, now I can make sure they are getting longer stronger and closer together before I wake up Chris to take us to the hospital. Next contraction came only 7 minutes later and I was thrilled, but I still wasn’t 100% convinced it wasn’t just Braxton Hicks. The next contraction was about 11 minutes later and less strong and I realised the babies were not on their way. On the plus side I never made a fool of myself, I resisted the urge to destroy another night of sleep for Chris and I even managed to get some sleep afterwards.
But when I woke up this morning still feeling like a house and in pain I decided that the person who said I was a mother not a martyr was right and I should call the doc. So at 8.00am I was on the phone to the OB. His receptionist was great asking how I was and I said struggling could I talk to the doc. She must have heard someting in my voice, because I was put straight through. I think he heard the depseration straight away. I did resist the urge to beg him to take the babies out, I just said “I’m really struggling” and straight away he had some suggestions.
He started by checking my dates and said he was not at all keen to get the babies out now, he said we could do an amnio to check their lung function and if everything okay we could do the c-sec, but the risks of an amnio at this stage just not worth it. He said he did not want to do the c-sec until 37 weeks (7 November by his calculation) and suggested booking me into hospital for the next 10 days so they can put me on a drip which can ease my pain and increase comfort levels and where they can monitor me more closely. I said I was really not that keen unless it was necessary as no matter how uncomfortable I am sure I will be more comfortable at home. So he said he could prescribe some things to help me get through. First off he has prescribed some sleeping tablets which he swears are 100% fine for the babies so much so that if I am really struggling I can take the sleeping pills during the day too to help keep me more comfortable. He has also prescribed some pain meds and some nasal spray to help me breathe. Funny enough he knew exactly what I needed most without even asking what the worst part was.
So I agreed to take the drugs (yes this is the same me who believes in everything as drug free and natural as possible) and I figure if I can get some sleep and I can breathe I can make the next 10 days.
So our next OB appointment is on Monday to check everything again, but chances are looking very good my c-sec will now be on the 7th Nov! I would say that htat is just 10 sleeps away, but the reality is that if I sleep during the day and with the number of times I get up during the night it’s probably a lot more than 10 sleeps, but 10 days away sounds bearable.
Amazingly just knowing the end is a little closer and knowing that there is something I can take for some relief has me feeling a lot better already.