So tomorrow evening we are heading up to Jo’burg with the kids to attend my uncle’s funeral (there is a whole post coming on some of the thoughts and feelings about his passing). Our only other night’s away with the kids have involved us loading up our trailer, so this is a bit of an exercise in how little we can get away with.
Of course with them being toddlers and having already moved out their cots, there is a lot less to lug than there would have been six or more months ago, but still!
We have managed to pack very light (well for us anyway), each kids is getting a small suitcase with their stuff in it and I have been ever so organised packing each little outfit together. So for example each days clothes has the top wrapped around the bottoms, socks, vests and jerseys. That hopefully means that each day I can just grab a ‘pack’ and get the kids dressed without too much chaos in the suitcase. Thanks to Pintrest for that tip, picked it up when planning one of our camping trips.
So the awesome @leeturnerconn gave me some fab tips for the flight and trip on twitter:
- Don’t take a new toy, take their absolute favourite book, kids like familiar and repetition
- Don’t walk them up and down the aisle on the flight. Once you start you can’t stop. Make them think this seat is the only option.
- Don’t feed a meal, feed snacks. Constant snacks keep them occupied. Have enough for the whole ride
- You may get bulkhead, but that means no bags at feet. Put 2 small bags with essentials in your big bag so you and hubby each have one
- In the bag ensure you have wipes, muslin, dummy, snacks, and toy. Make a bag for each kid in case you get separated
- Deplaning can be the hardest, some airlines don’t bring pram back so be prepared to walk or carry the kids off the plane, slings
- Have changing mat, nappies, wipes handy in case you have to do that
Another friend recommended rescue remedy (which no matter what anyone says I swear does work!) and we will be keeping our little spray bottle handy, for me if not the kids.
If it weren’t for Lee, I don’t think I would have even considered taking the pram at all, the kids haven’t been in the pram in months (maybe more than six months) but the thought of trying to carry babies and bags at the airport is manic, so the pram will be going after all.
For entertainment I have printed off some cute colouring pages in A5 (the Nickelodeon website had great Dora pages suited to 2-3 year olds) and bought them new crayons so that should hopefully keep them occupied, but then with them on our laps not getting their own seat I am really not sure what space there will be for colouring or drawing, but in case there is we are prepared. In addition we packed some favourite books and a new mini set of bedtime story books (both flights are after their bedtimes). And then we each have a tablet. So any recommendations for suitable android games we can download before the flight?
Any other tips you can share? PLEASE!